· Begin your detox at the weekend or during a time when you don’t have too much going on.
· Walk for at least 15 minutes every day.
· Drink at least 2 liters of water a day – purified, distilled, filtered or bottled. You can also drink dandelion coffee or herb teas.
· Have ½ liter of fruit or vegetable juice – either carrot and apple juice (you can buy these two separately and combine with one-third water) with grated ginger, or fresh watermelon juice – a day. The flesh of the watermelon is high in beta- carotene and vitamin C. The seeds are high in vitamin E, as well as the antioxidant minerals zinc and selenium. You can make a great antioxidant cocktail by blending fresh fruit and seeds in a blender into a greast-tasting drink.
· Eat in abundance: Fruit – the most beneficial fruits with the highest deter potential include fresh apricots, all berries, cantaloupe melons, citrus fruits, kiwis, papayas, peaches, mangoes, melons, red grapes. Vegetables – especially good are artichokes, peppers, beetroot, Brussels sprouts, broccoli, red cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, kale, pumpkin, spinach, sweet potato, tomatoes, watercress and bean sprouts.
· Eat in moderation: Grain brown rice, corn, millet, and quinoa not more than two portions per day. Fish salmon, mackerel, sardines, and tuna not more than once a day. Oils use extra-virgin olive oil for cooking and in place of butter, and cold-pressed seed oils for dressings. Nuts and seeds a handful a day of raw, unsalted nuts and seeds should be included. Choose from almonds, Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and flax seeds (linseeds).
· Avoid: All wheat products, all meat and dairy produce (including eggs), salt and any food containing it, hydrogenated (trans) fats, artificial sweeteners, food additives and preservatives, fried foods, spices, dried fruit. Limits potatoes to one portion every other day and bananas to one every other day.
· Don’t be surprised if you feel worse for a couple of day before you start to feel better. This is especially likely if you are eliminating foods to which you are dependant.
· Take a double dose daily of quality multivitamin/mineral supplements, plus two 1,000 mg vitamin C capsules and antioxidant complex.